23/04/12

Kartini's Letter

to Stella Zeehandelaar

Concerning the teachings of Islam, I cannot speak with you.
The Islamic religion forbids its adherents to talk about it followers of other religions.
And truly I hold to the Islamic religion because my ancestors held that religion.
How can I love my religion, if I do not know it? Am I not allowed to be acquainted with it?
The Qur'an is too holy to be translated into any other language.
There is no one here who knows Arabic. People here are taught the Qur'an, but they don't understand what they read.
I consider that a crazy effort, to teach other to read without teaching the meaning of what they read.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Islamic teaching permits men to be married with four women at the same time.
Although this thing may not, in a thousand cases, be called a sin according to the law and teaching of Islam, I will steadfastly consider it a sin always.
Sin is hurting another creature, human or animal.
And can you imagine the torture that must be suffered by a woman if her husband comes home with another woman her rival whom she has to acknowledge as his legal wife?
The husband can torture her until she die, hurt her as he wishes.
If she does not want to divorce him, that woman will not secure her rights, not even until death.
Everything for the males, not a single thing for the females, that is our law and teaching.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve lost hope, feeling despair I twist my hands.
As a human being I feel alone, unable to oppose that gigantic evil and which –
O dear, how terribly cruel it’s! Protected by Islamic teaching and kept alive by female stupidity – its victim! O dear! I think it possible that fate will drop on me that cruel torture called polygamy!
I don't want it !”
My mouth screams a thousand times.

Raden Ajeng Kartini , is an Indonesian feminist.
Quoted from “From Darkness to Light – Dari Gelap Terbitlah Terang- 1920”.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar